Crane Operator & Safety Training - Course 700 - 1 Day
This 1-day overhead crane operator safety training course is offered at our Milwaukee location on a monthly schedule. This course is ideal for companies that add a few new operators each month but do not have enough for an On-Site Training Course. This course will help you meet OSHA and ASME B30.2 requirements for training. Seasoned and Novice crane operators alike benefit from the information concerning basic crane construction, rigging, crane controls, load swing and pre-operational inspections.
Conoco PhillipsVenco Don G.
(What I liked most about the seminar was…) Learning the mechanical aspects of the crane. The instructor was very professional and informative. This course
taught me more about the crane than I knew in my eleven (11) years here. The instructor was very good at applying the knowledge and learning as it applies to
our crane here.
Fibrebond Corp. Isaiah N.
(What I liked most about the seminar was…) Learning to rig correctly.
Phelps Dodge Arthur G.
The pace and informal setting was good for all involved regardless of individuals
Union Tank Car Cherous T.
I learn(ed) more in-depth about crane inspections.
Wheelabrator Rafael B.
The instructor had the patience and the knowledge - great job.
Crane Safety Training for Operators
We do offer this course in the Milwaukee Area and in Connecticut at our facilities. To request an on-site course - please click the On-Site Training link above. We have instructors located throughout the US and Canada to provide a fast response and reduced travel costs for our customers.
This course is geared for the crane operator and the supervisory personnel responsible for the daily operation and safe performance of cranes. The course covers major crane components, safe operating practices, daily checklists, communications, and operator inspections per OSHA, documentation requirements, and hands on demonstrations. Each participant will have the opportunity to perform an actual pre-operation inspection that is required by OSHA .
Each participant will also receive a comprehensive course workbook. This provides participants with a valuable source for future reference. The working knowledge participants acquire from this course will greatly reduce downtime and possible serious injury to personnel caused by improper crane operation.
Do your crane operators know:
- Emergency Stop Signals
- How much weight they can safely lift with each crane in your plant?
- Shut down procedures?
- How to control load swing?
Untrained and poorly trained operators cause more crane accidents and millions of dollars in damage each year. Our overhead crane operator training program is designed to provide your operators with the information they need to help prevent accidents and product damage while increasing productivity.
- Identify and explain the function of all major crane components and assemblies
- Define the minimum qualifications and requirements of a crane operator
- Perform and document the daily crane inspection procedure required by OSHA
- Understand the four rules of safe and proficient crane operation
- Perform precise spotting of loads and make precision lifts
- Become familiar with the proper techniques to minimize load swing
- Explain and practice all recommended hand signals
- Understand the basic rigging procedures to attach a load to the hook
- Understand the requirements of crane operators per OSHA 1910.179
- What is an Overhead Crane?
- Identify all major components of a crane, gantry, jib, etc
- Explain the function of all major assemblies and components
Crane Operator Qualifications
- Minimum legal requirements
Know the cranes you operate
- Identify the types of cranes found in your plant
- Discuss the features that are found on your cranes and their operating characteristics.
Practical instruction at a crane; Conducting a daily operator inspection
- Emergency stop operation and disconnects
- Hook block, hook, rope inspection
- Upper limit check
- Crane control operation
- Locating and identifying the crane runway disconnect
Safe and productive lifting techniques – hoist, trolley bridge
- DVD – “Overhead Cranes Safe Operation” – Approximately 20 minutes
- The Four Rules of a Safe and Efficient Crane Operator
- Hoist – Slack out of ropes / no side pulling / hoist brakes / jogging
- Trolley – Positioning / judging drift / load swing
- Bridge – Judging drift / load swing / positioning
- Safe Rigging practices
- Safety – The Do’s and Don’ts of Hoisting
- Crane Operating Hand Signals – ANSI Standards
OSHA Safety requirements – 1910.179 – What are the requirements on handling loads?
- Crane Operator Test (written)
This crane training course is typically provided at customer sites by local Konecranes Training Institute Certfied Instructors. The special course listed is offered at our Konecranes Training Institute in Milwaukee and our Connecticut Branch Office:
99 Clark Drive, Unit 2
East Berlin CT 06602
Konecranes Training Institute - New Address!
5306 S. Emmer Drive
New Berlin, WI 53151